A special time during the holidays for many families is sitting down together with that special family snack, like popcorn and Christmas cookies, and watching that one favorite Christmas movie. (Friends of other faiths, please see below.) Many people like “It’s a Wonderful Life”, “Miracle on 34th Street”, and “A Christmas Story.”
Our family is a little different. We don’t get into touchy-feely movies. We have had our share of sad times, and sitting down on purpose to watch something that will make us feel that way isn’t what we’re looking for. We’re looking for something to make us LAUGH! Yes, a bowl of my very unhealthy, extra buttery Chex mix and some silliness is what my kids all think of when they remember family Christmas times. Oh, and Tommy’s chili (and some presents of course!) If you’re looking for a way to lighten up this holiday season, here’s a list of movies that are sure to make you smile. Sit back, have a guilt free snack, and enjoy yourself. You deserve it!
HERE IT IS, THE HARDY FAMILY CHRISTMAS MOVIE LIST (along with my favorite quote from each movie):
1. CHRISTMAS VACATION. What can I say? We all know it by heart, but still laugh at every scene. “Grace! She passed away 30 years ago!”
2. ELF. How can the large Will Ferrell get away with seeming to be such a small, innocent boy? I don’t know but he really pulls it off! “We elves try to stick to the four main food groups: candy, candy canes, candy corn, and syrup!”
3. A CHARLIE BROWN CHRISTMAS. Who can resist poor Charlie and his friends? And the music, I love it and hate it at the same time with all those minor notes! “Of all the Charlie Browns I know, you are the Charlie Browniest.” And, I believe that Linus’ telling of the Christmas story is one of the most beautiful things ever!
4. THE MUPPET CHRISTMAS CAROL. I just love those Muppets! And I have to say, the music in this one really picks me up. “Light the lamp, not the rat! Light the lamp, not the rat!”
5. HOME ALONE (the original). That kid must have watched a lot of MacGyver! “Keep the change, ya filthy animal!”