How have you been this week? Feeling stressed with all this holiday preparation? Maybe life is just overwhelming right now between your health and family and your personal situation. I want you to know that you are NOT ALONE! Most women struggle this time of year with everything there is to do. Add chronic illness and pain to that and you have a recipe for a breakdown.
It CAN be better though! I’m going to walk you through it. First off, get a cup of tea or coffee or whatever makes you feel good, along with 3 pieces of paper and a pen. Then sit in a comfy chair and take a deep breath, we are going to make a plan.
I’m a big list maker. When life is overwhelming I like to make a big list of everything that I need to do. WOW! That list might look daunting. But once it’s all written down, you can divide it up it bite size pieces.
HERE’S HOW I RECOMMEND DOING THIS TODAY:
- Make a list of EVERYTHING you need to do this week.
- Decide what things can wait until next week, and cross them off.
- Write down on a separate paper the things you can delegate to someone else, and cross them off. (Be sure to give that paper to whomever can complete it.)
- Make a small list of the things taken from the big list that need to be done right away. Write them in order of priority, and put it on your refrigerator right now. That’s the list you really need, your urgent list.
- Take your long list and put it in your planner or in a drawer to be looked at after your urgent list is completed.
- Sit back for 15 minutes, sip your tea, and know that you can handle this.
- Now, go to the fridge and look at that list. Start at the top. Get the first thing done, and plan how you’ll do the rest.
The moment you have crossed the last thing off that urgent list, you will feel a calming sense of relief. I’m always so happy when a list is completed. Such a sense of accomplishment. Now, take the big list, and cross off everything you’ve already done. Now it is manageable. Ahhhhhhh. Just start doing those things, one at a time, until they’re done. Or, save it until next week. Try not to get stressed.
I hope this helps you. Having a long list of things to look at can be stressful, but for me, having it all in my head and then missing important things is much worse. You’ll get through these holidays, whether everything is done or not. Remember, this is the season for enjoying family, and having those you love close by. Everything else can wait.
YOUR CHALLENGE TODAY: Do steps 1-6 above, 7 if you’re feeling up to it. You can do this! I’d love to hear how your week is going. YOU ARE NOT ALONE!